Monday, October 4, 2010

Adventures at the Emergency Room 2

For those of you (all two of you) who read my blog three years ago, you may remember a post similarly titled (click here if you really want to read it).

Last Monday was a miserable day. I woke up with an extremely painful migraine and from there it just went down hill. I was throwing up twice an hour for nearly 12 hours and the pain in my neck and head was almost blinding at times. Looking back I truly feel that I had divine help because I really do not know how I was able to care for Sofia. After a few hours I was so weak I felt like I might passed out and my legs buckled several times as well. When Sofia woke up from her nap, I knew I needed to get help. I called my doctor and spoke with the nurse. She instructed me to take my anti-nausea medicine with just spit and wait 20 minutes to see if it would stay down. If it did I was to take my migraine medicine. Unfortunately, 10 minutes later the anti-nausea medicine came back up. The nurse told me if this happened then I needed to go to the emergency room.

A wonderful friend took Sofia and fed her dinner and put her to bed while Josef took me to the hospital. We were there for four hours. One poor nurse tried very hard to get an IV into my tiny veins. It didn't help that she seemed very inexperienced and being severely dehydrated made my blood vessels shrink. She finally got a very slow IV started on my wrist (OUCH!). After a while a second nurse came in and started me a new IV that was much faster and seemed painless compared to the other attempts. At 10pm, after I had finished a bag of fluids, could keep some jello down, and my migraine was gone, the doctor sent us home.

Can I just tell you how very thankful I am for WATER! After 24 hours of not being able to keep any down, it felt glorious to sip ice cold water.

Here are some pictures of my sweet patient little girl who was so angelic on Monday.

4 comments:

Jess said...

So sorry Jenny! No fun at all. Wish I could have helped! Hope things keep getting better!

Laura Garner said...

Wow that was quite the day for you Jenny! That happened to me but I didn't have someone to watch over, so that must have been stressful! I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Yuck.

On a positive note, I LOVE Sophia's hair! It's so curly and light! She's such a beautiful girl!

Hopefully you start feeling better from here on out :)

Eric and Amy said...

What a terrible ordeal! I'm so sorry! Please know I'm here to help and right down the street if I can ever help!!! Seriously!! I hope you're blessed with good health soon so you can get to enjoying being prego :).

Amy said...

sorry Jenny, that doesn't sound good at all. Call me next time you need something like this and I'll be happy to come over to keep Sofia for you.