Saturday, May 23, 2009

Berry Smoothie

Happy Memorial Day everyone! I hope you are spending this 3-day weekend having fun with family and getting wet! I thought in honor of the holiday that kicks off the summer I would share with you my favorite (and healthy) smoothie recipe!!

Banana Berry Smoothie
The only measurement you need to remember for this smoothie is "1/2".

1/2 Frozen Banana (I peel my bananas cut them in half and then freeze them in a ziplock bag)
1/2 cup Frozen Berries (my fave are blackberries!)
1/2 cup Low-fat vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup milk (I use vanilla soymilk some times cuz that's what Josef drinks and I can't taste a difference)

Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. This makes a thick smoothie, so you can add more milk if you want to thin it out some. Makes a one serving smoothie.

What I love about this smoothie is the creaminess of it because
you don't use ice since the fruit is frozen. It is also super versatile. You can replace the banana and berries with 1/2 cup each of two different kinds of frozen fruit. We buy a giant bag of mixed frozen fruit at Sam's Club and use that to make different variations. Also I watch the grocery circulars for sales on the berries and when they go under a dollar each I buy a ton and stick them in my freezer. I've been trying to eat a healthier breakfast so I usually pair one of these smoothies with eggs and whole grain toast. Or if I'm craving something sweet (Bluebell Ice Cream), I'll make myself one of these puppies instead.

Here's to living a healthier happier life!!

2 comments:

Amy said...

looks good. good job on cleaning up the house it's looking great, I'll have to try that in a year! lol

Scott Blog said...

That sounds really good! I think Ayden and I will try that for breakfast soon :)