Friday, October 24, 2008

Kids and TV

Each week I get an email from the Parents Television Counsel which is an non-profit organization dedicated to cleaning up television and making parents aware of the smut that our children are exposed to. Every week it never ceases to amaze me the disgusting amount of sex and violence that appears on primetime network TV. Here's a statistic that came with the email this week:

Adolescents who watched TV programs with a large amount of sexual content were twice as likely to have had sex by the time they were 16 as peers who did not watch sexually oriented shows. -- study by Jane Brown, journalism professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (Time.com, September 11, 2008)

This statistic reminds me how important it is as parents to be careful not only about what our kids watch, but what we watch. We teach my example! I know my daughter is only 9 months old, but for me its easier to clean up my act now then when she's older. I want our home to be a safe haven. So this coming week I challenge everyone to evaluate the movies and TV shows you watch and ask yourself: "Is there room for improvement?"

No comments: