Sunday, March 7, 2010

Peace


This past week was been stressful. I won't go into depth. On Saturday every negative emotion I had been feeling seemed to culminate until I couldn't handle anymore. I needed peace. So I dropped my plans to clean and shop, left Sofia with Josef, and headed to the Holy Temple. Oh the sweet, simple, encompassing peace of the House of the Lord. How blessed I am to live less then 30 minutes away from a temple and how easily I forget it!

I have also found peace in the stories of my ancestors. Josef and I were asked to go on the youth pioneer trek for our stake, as a "ma and pa". We have been encouraged to learn pioneer stories to share with our youth throughout the week. On Friday my Dad brought over a book filled with stories and information about my ancestors who were in the Martin Handcart company. My great-great-great grandmother Mary lost her husband and youngest son (who was just a few months old) on that journey and had to continue on with her remaining 5 children. Knowing the unspeakable sacrafices, tragedies, and trials she had to endure all in the name of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ has brought me such peace these past couple days.

I am so thankful for peace. Even though life hasn't magically become easy and care free, I feel blessed to be strengthen by peace.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I am so happy that you were able to go to the temple. I love it there and wish I could go more often. I hope that you can continue to feel at peace as you are dealing with Sofia and trying to find something that will work for her!

Amanda said...

What a great thing to do. I SO Need to do that one of these Saturday nights. I am at the end of my rope for a few things that have been going on for months now. I can relate to the feeling of you and your child breaking down in tears together. You are not alone.